Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I Like Movies!

Summer in Arizona is the BEST time for movies! Not only does the film industry come out with some fun movies but in Arizona in the summer there is really no better place to go than a dark, air-conditioned theater! Some theaters even have free movies for kids in the summer!

My only concern has been the quality of movies as of late. It seems the film industry is leaning towards movies for the shock factor, or trying to push the envelope in every movie just a little more than the last. Even so called "family movies" seem to be more hardened than the Apple Dumpling Gang, and Return to Witch Mountain I grew up on. It leaves us as viewers with fewer and fewer wholesome family movies to choose from. Now that my kids are getting bigger I'm a little concerned. What kind of movies will they have to choose from when they become teenagers? It's a scary thought.

So when I came upon a film company dedicated to making family friendly movies, I had to share it!!! The company is Walden Media. I have seen some movies made by this company; Holes, The Chronicles of Narnia, Because of Winn Dixie, and I am happy to report they are as good as they profess to be! Their goal is to take classic literature and create feature films for use in classrooms and for families! I love it!Check out their website complete with the history of the company, their reasons for making films, films that are in the making, and for teachers there is even a section on how to use the film in the classroom and other resources and books related to the topic of the movie!

So, my goal this summer is to support those companies who are trying to go against the rising tide of movie garbage and go to as many G and PG movies as I can! Care to join me?

No comments: