Humor of an 8-year-old or Bekki eats her words
Dallin is an emerging reader and he wants so badly to read chapter books. He will put them in his backpack and carry them around even though they are too advanced for him. He tries so hard to read them, but quickly gets overwhelmed. I've been struggling to find a chapter book that isn't too overwhelming yet interests him.
A million years ago when I was studying to be a teacher there was a discussion about literature for children and whether or not it mattered what a child was reading as long as the child was reading. I wholeheartedly stated that- any book is good as long as it interests the child.
10 years later I am eating my words...
One day Dallin brought home a chapter book from school he was excited about reading. Some kind soul (cough, cough) suggested he try this book and he LOOOOOVES it! The title of this book? CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS!!!! Now he brings home a different one each week and reads them to us each night. He thinks they are hilarious! The WORST part is that Adam does too! They both get a kick out of some of the jokes.
I HATE, I repeat, I HATE Captain Underpants books. I don't like their jokes, I don't like that many words are misspelled, and I don't like the illustrations, and the stories are just ridiculous. They just seem so crude to me. (I can appreciate that they were written by young boys and bravo for them, but come on!)
I've tried to find other books he is equally excited about and have yet to be successful. So far I have bitten my tounge and tried to live by my former philosophy, but it's pretty difficult when the reader is your son!
So, this morning Dallin was giggling to himself and finally came to me and said; "Mom, this is inappropriate, but I want to tell you a funny thing I read." (YIKES, I THINK IN MY HEAD) He then says; "We shake our big butts when we swim in the toilet." Then he laughed and laughed and laughed.
Well, at least he knows it's inappropriate...darn that Captain Underpants! Curse that Captain Underpants! May you die a thousand deaths! or Thank you Captain Underpants for helping my son love reading!
I'm feeling a little schitzophrenic today....
I will never understand 8-year-old boys.



5 comments:
Bren liked Captain Underpants for about three months and then it was all gone and forgotten. They ARE stupid and your son will soon tire of them! So there is double the good news: a) he is reading! and b) he knows it is inappropriate and these silly books will just lead him to better ones! So keep biting your tongue. It will be over soon! :)
perhaps you should've ended the blog "I will never understand 8-year-old boys...and their 36-year-old fathers!" LOL.
Shhhhh! Don't tell my kids but I think I got rid of our Captain Underpants book that someone passed onto us. My kids thought it was a funny book as well.
BJ
We really like the Magic Tree House books...not quite the flair if "Captain Underpants", but he might like them as well. :)
(My sister showed me your beautiful blog) Oh my, yes... i was a nanny at the time and the boy was CRAZY about them. It really got him reading... and drove his mom nuts. and it was more than just a few months. They were read and re-read and re-read.. then more were written - argh!
Post a Comment