Monday, June 09, 2008

Virden Cemetery
On Sunday after the church services, we met our Uncle LeRoss at the cemetery for a guided tour. He was funny in the way he directed us, as if he were introducing old friends. He said he knows everyone in the cemetery and showed us his place where they will "plant" him when the time comes!

Uncle LeRoss tellling us about his Grandfather Timothy Jones. The small plaque under the headstone says "Faith in Every Footstep in 1850 Timothy Crossed the Plains". Timothy Jones was 1 year old when his family crossed the plains with the Mormon pioneers.


Uncle LeRoss telling stories about our ancestors. One of them was "planted" on January 29th-so excited to go he "lept" into his grave! ha ha


Timothy Jones is my Grandfather Joseph Edwin Jones' Grandfather (Dallin's Great-Great-Great Grandfather)


Harry M. Payne is my Grandmother Ethna Jones' (Edwin's wife) Grandfather! They are buried in the same cemetery a few steps from each other.


This is my Grandmother's parents. I remember Grandma Merrell when she lived with my Grandparents after Douglas died. I vaguely remember my Great Grandfather Merrell and the marble games he made. I have pictures of me on his lap when I was young.


I enjoyed hearing the stories from Uncle LeRoss and learning more about my ancestors and how hard life was for them. I'm so blessed because of their hard work and the choices they made. It makes me want to work harder-I have it soooo easy!

1 comment:

BeeP said...

Never thought of calling it "planted." Gotta love Uncle LeRoss.